Here’s Why You Should Have a Facial Massage
Facials may just be the holy grail of skincare. When we get those lovely facials, we often receive a relaxing facial massage in addition to the other treatments. Maybe we thought a facial massage was only to pamper our overly tired faces, but it goes far beyond a feel-good indulgence.
A traditional skincare step in Asia for thousands of years, companies such as Shiseido have long been using facial massage techniques as part of their pampering treatments.
Facial massage can:
- Improve circulation
- Increase fresh blood and oxygen flow
- Ease muscle tension
- Detoxify the lymphatic system
- Bring hydration
- Aid in the appearance of fine lines
- Ease puffiness
- Relieve congestion
- Create a feeling of relaxation
- Leave skin glowing
As an added bonus, the ability of facial massage to ease stress is a great anti-ager in itself. Reduce stress and look younger: it’s a win-win.
You can enjoy a facial massage during a facial, and even many high-end massage therapists are now incorporating the technique. But there is no requirement to make an appointment to reap these benefits. A little self-care goes a long way. Jojoba oil works wonderfully for an at-home facial massage.
- Distribute the oil evenly and begin making slow, gentle circles around your face. Try a downward motion for the forehead and an upward motion for the cheeks/chin.
- Stop at facial pressure points including the temples, inner points of the eyebrow, and outer corners of the nose.
- Sweep in one motion from the inner point to the outer point of the under eye while applying a gentle pressure.
- Don’t forget the ears and neck
For a more serious/nuanced approach take a look at these key pressure points for skin health. As always we always recommend speaking with your doctor regarding massage, especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Even giving your face three to five minutes of facial massage attention can be great. Adding facial massage into your routine, be it in the office of a licensed massage therapist or in your own bathroom, is a smart, pampering, and healthy skincare choice to make regularly.